Mini Potato Toasts with Pesto, Peppers and Tomatoes
Sweet potato toast has been all the rage on the Internet the last few years. It’s a great way to incorporate more vegetables into your diet while still maintaining the satisfaction of eating a piece of toast with delicious toppings. Plus, since you are slicing the potato thinly, you are able to fully cook it in the toaster!
I got a bag of red potatoes in my CSA pickup this week, so I figured I would do a spinoff on sweet potato toast and use these instead. These potatoes are small, so they make a great appetizer size for a party passaround. Red potatoes really work in this dish because they are low in starch and really hold their shape (and can handle the toppings you’ll add to them).
I also got a baby bok choi in my CSA haul. I happen to be reading Rachel Mansfield’s blog that day (she’s one of my favorites!) and saw she posted a pesto recipe using baby bok choi leaves – perfect! The leaves are a little bitter, but I absolutely LOVED the flavor of this pesto. Because of the bitterness, it’s a little more intense than a traditional pesto, so feel free to use that instead if you prefer. Rachel’s recipe is also dairy free for all my lactose intolerant and vegan friends out there!
These would make a great snack to serve if you are having friends over to watch football. They are small, easy to eat, and much healthier than your typical football Sunday snacks.
- 4 red potatoes, sliced about 1/3 of an inch thick
- Rachel Mansfield’s pesto, or any pesto of your choosing
- 1 tomato
- ½ of a red pepper
- Goat cheese for topping (optional)
- Place the potato slices in the toaster and toast a few times until cooked through and starting to brown on the edges (I put these in my toaster oven on high for one pass and on low for two more passes)
- While the potatoes are toasting, chop the tomato and pepper into a ½ inch dice, and make the pesto
- Top each potato slice with a teaspoon or two of pesto, a spoonful of chopped tomato and pepper, and sprinkle with goat cheese for a perfect finish